New York: F.W. Beers, 1872. Quarto. Very Good. Item #15331
An original 1872 map of a portion of the historic town of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, with the layout and original building footprints of the Carlisle Barracks, and labeled as such.
The Carlisle Barracks were first constructed in 1757 during the French and Indian War and was further developed during the American Revolutions as a munitions depot. During the Civil War, the town and Barracks buildings were briefly occupied by Confederate Forces during the Gettysburg Campaign.
The U.S. Army War College was moved to the site in 1951 and currently serves as the senior educational facility of the U.S. Army, where high ranking officers receive strategic and leadership skills.
This large map was originally published in the F.W. Beers Atlas of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania and also features landmarks of the town's East Ward, such as the E.J. Krause Brewery, the residence of General Robert M. Henderson, and the line of the Cumberland Valley Railroad.
This hand-colored map measures 24" X 15 1/2" and is perfect for framing and display!