Frankfort, NY: Charles Magnus, 1864. Very Good. Item #15748
A gorgeous 1864 original lithograph printed during the Civil War.
This was one of several chromolithographs published by Magnus depicting the soldier hospitals in the nation's capital during the conflict.
"Located on Corcoran Farm on 7th Street, NW, Harewood General Hospital operated from September 1862 to May 1866. It was one of about 25 hospitals opened in the Capital and Alexandria to care for wounded Union soldiers. This print illustrates the original “V” shaped design of the hospital, which could accommodate a total of 945 patients. As the war continued, hospital tents were erected to house additional wounded men, and are visible above the wooden hospital wards. At one point, 312 tents were built at the hospital, contributing an additional 1,872 beds. Medical operations at Harewood were directed by Surgeon Reed A. Bontecou, who used photography to document the injuries and treatments of his patients." - americanhistory
This historic piece is in beautiful condition with just a few pinhole spots of foxing in the margins. The image measures approximately 17" X 11" while the frame measures 22" X 16".
Extra shipping charges may apply.
An authentic piece which dates to the Civil War, a perfect gift for any modern-day medical professional, perfect for home or office.