Frankfort, NY: Charles Magnus, 1864. Very Good. Item #15749
A gorgeous 1864 original lithograph printed during the Civil War.
This was one of several chromolithographs published by Magnus depicting the soldier hospitals in the nation's capital during the conflict.
"Opened in December 1862, Lincoln General was the largest of the military hospitals in the area built by the Army to take care of the Civil War casualties. It was located on Capitol Hill, 15 blocks east of the Capitol building.
The hospital complex included 20 pavilions, arranged in two lines forming a V, and 25 tent wards, which provided altogether a bed capacity of 2,575. The kitchen and dining rooms were connected to the pavilions by means of a covered pathway.
In addition to the headquarters (marked by the flag at the point of the V), there were officers quarters, quarters for Sisters who provided nursing service, barracks, guard house, separate quarters for contrabands, and service facilities such as water tank, laundry, barber shop, carpenter shop, stables and a morgue (“Dead House”).
Like most other military hospitals, Lincoln General was taken down shortly after the Civil War. The area once occupied by Lincoln General is now a residential district." - tobyhannatwphistory.org
This historic piece is in beautiful condition with just a few spots of foxing in the margins. The image measures approximately 17" X 11" while the frame measures 22" X 16".
Extra shipping charges may apply.
An authentic piece which dates to the Civil War, a perfect gift for any modern-day medical professional, perfect for home or office.