London: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts and Green, 1863. 1st Edition. 8vo - over 7. Very Good. Item #7483
Two volumes complete. Absolutely gorgeous set. Original olive dyed calf with gilt ruled borders, raised bands to spine and original black and red leather spine labels. Expertly, almost imperceptible, professional repair to hinges. End papers and page edges marbled. From the libraries of two members of the noble and distinguished English Martineau family. Volume I with the bookplate of John Martineau, son of John Martineau, the Engineer, who was a co-founder of the English firm Taylor & Montineau, instrumental in the development of the steam engine and it's increased practical use in advancing the manufacturing sector in the middling days of the Industrial Revolution. Volume II contains the bookplate of notable English author and granddaughter of John Martineau, Violet Isabel Martineau. The Martineaus came from a Huguenot immigrant background, and were noted in the medical, intellectual and business fields. The founder, Gaston Martineau, was a surgeon in Dieppe, and moved to Norwich after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes of 1685. They were initially Calvinist dissenters, who brought their children up as bilingual in French and English.Becoming established in NorwichGaston's grandson David Martineau II (1726–1768) was the third generation of surgeons, and had five sons who made up the male line of Martineaus. By the fourth generation the family was divided into Anglicans and Unitarians.The eldest of the five sons was Philip Meadows Martineau (1752–1829). A surgeon, Martineau was "one of the most distinguished lithotomists of his day". Apprenticed to the surgeon William Donne, who was noted for skill in lithotomy, he became a medical student at a number of universities, then returned in 1777 to become Donne's partner, and carried on his speciality. Henry Southey was his student. He had one daughter. In 1793 he purchased the Bracondale Woods on the outskirts of Norwich and in 1811 the adjacent property of Carrow Abbey. He built Bracondale Hall, described in 1847 as a "handsome mansion with pleasure grounds delightfully laid out". From the ruins of Carrow Abbey, Martineau also constructed on his estate a "small gothic priory with windows of ancient stained glass". By 1879, this estate had been sold.The second son, David Martineau, (four sons, six daughters) was a dyer who went into the sugar business. The third, Peter Finch Martineau, (four sons, two daughter) was a dyer in Norwich. The fourth son, John Martineau of Stamford Hill, had 14 children, including John Martineau the engineer.